Tuesday, May 7, 2013

vacation finale

Read here about the first half of our vacation.

On day 4, Jay, DJ, Henry and I decided to check out the little zoo that was close by.  Amanda unfortunately had to work so it was just myself and the boys.  It was another very hot day and as bad luck would have it the pool was going to be closed and would remain closed for the next few weeks apparently.  Bummer.  The four of us started in the gift shop and goofed around.  Henry didn't find us funny at all.  He crashed in the stroller while I rode a camel (fake) and DJ and Jay braved a hurricane (fake).  I found lots of pirate stuff for Henry's room though in the process.
We tried out a few frozen drinks when Henry woke up and needed a little snack himself.  After our snack break we headed in to see the animals.  Every animal could be fed and there were little food stations all over the place.  At the entrance though we bought alligator food (that looks like little turds) because they had a huge area of gators!  We fed ducks, birds, gators, turtles, camels, fish, goats, bunnies, you name it we fed it.  It was a small zoo but truthfully one of the best.  Wayyyyy, better than the Detroit Zoo, by a million.  We all were hot and sweaty but it was a really great time.  Just when were about to leave we stopped and saw a sign that said "enter at your own risk".  Inside it was full of various animals roaming freely!  It was so cool.  Peacocks, iguanas, giant turtles and exotic birds of all kinds walked around like they could care less that you were in there.  DJ and Jay took turns watching Henry on the outside, but I was in animal heaven.

After the zoo we barbecued again and I put Henry down to sleep.  He woke up in a panic and had no interest in going back to sleep.  Henry, daddy and mommy all got into bed and watched "Brave".  Have you seen it?  You must if you haven't.
Our last full day was day 5, Wednesday, and we spent the day in their little downtown area shopping around, eating at Ford's Garage and walking along the water.  Henry needed a more relaxing day.  The boy's poor teething gums were really bothering him.  He was a grump or sleeping for the majority of the day.  After mingling around all day we got back to the condo and ordered mexican food and curled up to watch a movie after Henry went to sleep.
Thursday was our last day.  That morning not only did DJ get up and take a walk with us, but my brother in law did also.  The morning walks were among my favorite vacation moments.  The temperature was perfect and the quiet was wonderful.  Most of the day was spent running around doing last minute travel things and wishing we didn't have to leave. 
We got to the airport and it was super irritating.  Everyone was the opposite of helpful.  I used my credit card to pay for our bags and it gave me an error.  We were running out of time so instead of protesting I just gave the woman cash.  (skip to the following week when I realized that they collected my cash and charged my credit card twice.  then when I called for my refund on Monday, I checked again two days later, just to discover they only refunded ONE bag instead of the four that they owed me. not cool.) Anyway, we finally got to our gate after many other annoyances on the way to discover they were already boarding.  We jumped to the head of the line to preboard with Henry.  Just as the plane was fully boarded (we were not in our own row this time) the pilot announced that there was going to be a half an hour delay.  Eff.  I had planned these flights perfectly for a sleepy baby.  Michigan was being bombarded with thunderstorms.  After a half an hour the pilot came back on and said the delay was extended another hour.  Double eff.  Henry was not having it.  Temper tantrums, whining, crying, tears, thrashing, the works.  DJ checked out in typical dad form.  Luckily the plane started to unload a bit due to people missing their connecting flights and choosing to stay in Florida.  We had our own row again.  This did us no good.  We were on the plane for 2.5 hours.  I walked with Henry at one point and stood in the emergency exit section where there was at least a little air circulating.  A row of older women sat there and asked if they could hold Henry.  I could not hand him over faster.  He loved it.  These women bounced him and played and played.  They asked me if I was a germaphobe.  Trust me, at that moment when Henry had finally stopped screaming, germs were the furthest thing from my mind.  Once we finally took off Henry fell asleep.  Hallelujah.  I had a drink, the adult kind.  The turbulence was awful.  I have never been on a scarier flight in my life.  We landed and they made an announcement to let all of the passengers with connecting flights get off first, and anyone with a small child.  Ha.  Oh, you don't want my child to scream anymore?  Henry and I left DJ in our dust to carry all the bags.  Just kidding, I grabbed the diaper bag and my purse.  I could have kissed the dirty airport ground, I was so happy to finally be off the plane.  My mom picked us up and took us home.  We ordered pizza and the rest is history.

Despite our rough end, our vacation was definitely one to remember.  DJ hates not being able to see his brother every day and it kills him that he can't share the most important thing in his life, Henry, with him every single moment.  It was long over due that we made this trip.  Thank you again Jay and Amanda for having us.  We love you!


jamiedawn said...

ummmm ok so
1. i need that tie dye shirt, the yellow and grayish one
2. the photos of you & baby boy get me all sorts of emotional
3. the one of him smiling? i can't take it.
4. you and dj are the freaking cutest
5. the vine of henry saying mama? oh. my. GAWD.

Kristin Key said...

hahaha, i like the photo of DJ coming out of the egg, ha. i'm glad you guys had a great time!