Thursday, May 10, 2012

guest post - mother's day interview with sarah and riley

This week I am featuring guest posts from my mommy friends.  I asked some very special women, all my age, if they would participate in a mother's day interview.   I was thrilled when they agreed and I hope you enjoy reading their responses as much as I did!

Sarah is a nurse and the mom to little miss Riley.  Her and her hubby just closed on their new home.  Riley is already 16 months old and such a little stunner.  I can't wait til my son is able to walk and talk!   

 

Now that you are a mother yourself has your relationship changed at all with your own mother?

Since becoming a mother myself I have really tried to improve my relationship with my own mother.  Growing up I was the typical teenager that didn’t want my mom in my business and didn’t want to talk to her about anything.  I am and have always been an independent type A person so it has been a challenge for me to give up some control.  I just keep telling myself…I turned out fine right?!  And I didn’t become the person I am today on my own. 


What has been the best advice you have received regarding motherhood?

The best advice I received about motherhood so far was when someone told me to take it one day at a time.  When Riley was first born it was so physically and emotionally draining to breastfeed every 1 ½ hours not to mention how much cracked nipples hurt lol!  After a long night of feeding, changing diapers, pumping, sanitizing bottles…the list goes on…I would say to myself, “I made it through another day!”  It sounds silly I know but it really did work for me. 


How about the worst advice?

Being a new mother any advice is good advice to me!  So I can’t say that I have received any bad advice. 


What has been the hardest part so far of being a mother?

The hardest part about being a mom is being a working mom.  I had no clue how hard it was going to be and how guilty I was going to feel about being away from her while I was at work.  I cry when daycare calls me and says another kid bit her or she fell and bumped her head because I feel like I should be there to protect her and hold her when she cries. 


What has been the most rewarding moment?

There have been so many rewarding moments so far but if I had to pick one it would be when I get home from work and she sees me and says “mama” and runs to give me a hug.  It melts my heart and I know it’s her way of saying I love you mommy!



Do you have any advice for first time mothers?

My advice to first time moms is to take a shower everyday!  It’s easy to get so caught up in motherhood and forget to take care of yourself, trust me after a shower you feel like a million bucks and like you can do anything!  When my husband went back to work and I didn’t want Riley out of my sight I would put her in the bouncy seat and set her in the bathroom while I showered.


What was your guilty pleasure while pregnant?

Ok I am going to get real personal here and say that my guilty pleasure while I was pregnant was sex haha.  With all the hormones and extra blood flow lets just say I loved the second trimester J 


Do you have plans to have more children?  If so how many?  How soon?

I definitely want more children!  Not too many people know this but I did get pregnant when Riley was only 9 months old and I unfortunately had a miscarriage.  Although it wasn’t a planned pregnancy it was still the hardest thing I have ever had to go through.  On the day I found out about my miscarriage, 11/11/11, my niece was born. One life was taken out of this world and one life was brought into this world.  It has been about 8 months since my miscarriage and I am ready for another child.


What has been your biggest obstacle so far to overcome?

The biggest obstacle I have had to overcome and am still working on is time management between working, being a mom and being a wife.  I am a nurse in an ICU and after working a 12 hour day I am exhausted.  When I wake up the next morning the last thing I want to do is clean the house and do laundry.  My priority is spending time with Riley.  So I am trying my best to balance all my roles and responsibilities; it’s a work in progress.


How has your own mother inspired you?

My mother has such a big heart and helps every person in anyway that she can.  I inspire to be as open hearted and caring as she is.  




What was your earliest childhood memory about your own mother?

My earliest childhood memory of my mother was in kindergarten.  For Halloween we were having a parade and I wanted to be a princess.  She made my costume by hand and I remember her working so hard on it.  I can still picture the crown she made for me that had tulle hanging from it.  She really did make me feel like a princess.

 
What did you do for your mom on mother's day in the past?

Growing up my brothers and I always made my mom breakfast in bed for mother’s day. Looking back now we made her some unappetizing things yet she always ate what we brought her.

Lastly, what is your greatest wish for your child?

My greatest wish for Riley is that she has happiness in her life.  I have an amazing husband, a great career and the love for a daughter only a mother would know.  I am so happy where my life has taken me and I wish that my daughter has as much happiness in her life that I have had in mine.

Thank you so much Sarah!  I love your answers and you crack me up!  (the second trimester is pretty awesome haha)  Happy Mother's Day to you this year! xoxx

No comments: