Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Women In Sports

It's no secret that I am not a fan of women sports reporters.  I find it annoying to hear stats and facts from a woman.  Call me the anti-feminist, but I'd prefer to hear about sports from a man.  I pride myself on being knowledgeable about hockey, but that being said I would never get in front of a camera and try to tell a bunch of dudes my opinion on the sport.  I know that women can be just as acquainted with sports as a man, but unless you are prepared for the environment you are entering than I feel women should stick to short skirts an pom pons.

To prove my point I'd like to bring up a few recent stories in the news that make me say, "I told you so." 

ESPN fired announcer Ron Franklin after he apparently made "sexist, inappropriate comments" to Jeannine Edwards.  Ready for what he said..."Listen to me, sweet baby, let me tell you something." Following this she apparently requested that he address her more appropriately and he ended up saying, "OK, then listen to me, [expletive]."  I'm imagining that the expletive being referred to is bitch, but had she requested I speak to her differently I probably would have used c-u-next-tuesday, over bitch.  So, he's out of a job because he approached her with "sweet baby".  Wake up sweetie, I'm sure he uses slang when talking to other men, such as "dude" or "buddy" and no guy is running around crying to their bosses that he was "inappropriate"  Furthermore you mean to tell me that she never called a player or coworker anything other than his name?  Doubt it. 

I can not stand the fact that a woman enters a field that is bulging with testosterone and has the nerve to be sensitive.  In my opinion this sets women back further.  Of course men don't want to work with women.  Every time they say "hey sweetie" or direct their eyes anywhere below your chin, they are in danger of being accused of sexual harassment.  You need more proof? 

How about Ines Sainz saying that she felt "very uncomfortable" in the New York Jet's locker room, when she was allegedly being "harassed".  Ready for this....





Yep, this is what she wears to work.  To interview a bunch of muscle laden, horny men.  Apparently she has since stated that it was no big deal and that she never filed a complaint, but to make a comment regardless is so unbelievable to me.  She's beautiful and would still be if she wore a business suit or a sweater, but instead she looks in her closet and pairs skin tight denim with sheer top over a pink bra.  If that isn't an invitation for a man to look at your boobs then some of  my friends are never going to find a man.  (totally kidding about that) 

Normally, I save this kind of ranting for my husband, but when I heard this week of another man in sports being accused and fired for a so-called "sexist" comment to a woman, I though my head was going to explode.  I'm prepared for the backlash of these statements, but I hope you can take what I say with a grain of salt and realize that I am the quintessential girls girl.  I have fives times as many girlfriends as I do men, but I can't tolerate cry babies and that goes for men or women.

“Sure God created man before woman, but you always make a rough draft before creating the final masterpiece."

 

1 comment:

Kristine. said...

AMEN. I totally agree with everything that you just said. I cannot believe that she's so surprised that guys are checking her out when she wears stuff like that. Ugh! I can't take chicks like that seriously.